Friday 15 February 2008

Con Madres & Con Padres






This is a typical custom of this area. Images are made of different people in the town or family. They are dressed in their clothes which in the past have been pinched off the washing line if the person wasn´t forthcoming to provide them. They are then displayed for all to see and burnt that night. I joined the women in my choir to prepare the effigies of the men. We used turnips and melons for heads and packed the bodies with straw. The following week it is the turn of the conmadres. It is all done in good fun although it was strange to see myself swinging from the tree as part of the choir I had joined. That night I was burnt on the fire while someone played the bagpipes.








No comments:

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.