Wednesday 9 July 2008

Bees -

To take a photo of the Spiral it was decided that the room in the old house would be a good vantage point so made our way across the dodgy floor boards to get in.

Why won´t this window open?


Because the bees have used propolis to glue it closed.


What bees?


Probably those above your head!


Lots of bad words and a quick retreat out of the old house that had been shut up for at least a year.

We were ok. The beehive was deserted but what amazing creatures. Mice had taken it over and devoured the stores.


But where are the bees? There were no dead bodies. I checked my own hives and with the same findings. The hives were empty of bees. No dead bodies just coddling moth larvae. There had been young but they were dead in their cells. There was no clear pattern of reproduction within the cells so I am at a loss as to what is going on and a little upset that my friends have gone. I will get some more one day but from a hive that has been left to its own devices to build up a resistance. I cleared away the empty hives ready to blow torch them to disinfect them.
I can´t help feeling concerned that bees are disappearing at an alarming rate and not enough is known about why or how this can be revearsed.

2 comments:

Electric Toast said...

I have been collecting research on the effects of EMF's (from mobile phones, WIFI, DECT) and it seems that our precious bees are being affected by this pulsed microwave radiation (as well as us humans, birds, and now trees) See Ulriche Warnke http://www.scribd.com/doc/15626453/Bees-Birds-Mankind-Destroying-Nature-by-Electrosmog-Ulrich-Warnke If you want any more info. I am happy to provide.

Electric Toast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.