Thursday 25 October 2007

A living museum of bees - what a great idea!






Here is the laboratory when honey can be analysed. The next picture shows the extraction room where the honey is extracted from the combs. On the next floor down were the settling tanks. The honey flowed into these using natural gravity.















The bottling room.





A demonstration of how bees, when left alone, will build up their own comb.


























The workshop - Frames with comb.







































An old chestnut hive.


















A cross section of a hive.





















A replica of an apiary in the mountains built within a stone wall to keep the bears out. Note the use of chestnut stumps for hives




















Outside apiaries.














Did the donkey get stung?















The patron saints of beekeepers.
















.

1 comment:

NM said...

It'll be bee theatres and bee cinema next, with bee volleyball tournaments and an all bee tour de france. Seriously it looks a lot of fun and the stump hives are a great idea.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.