Sunday 6 April 2008

Very big herb spiral!


This project has been in my mind for a while. I had something similar on paper after seeing an article in the permaculture magazine about a medicinal herb spiral. This one has been inspired by my best friend J. who is fighting cancer and going through some intensive chemo sessions at the moment. I met J. at university and she has been a big influence in my life. She is the one who has taught me to think outside the box and not to take things or people at face value but to look at little deeper. She was sprouting her seeds and being vegetarian way before me and always cooked us delicious dishes with traces of her Spanish links.

I have always felt that the best healing for me has been to put my hands into soil and work with it. I hear they offer allotments now as holistic therapy for people suffering from depression. For me it is obvious. When life is harsh or things happen that are hard to deal with then contact with nature or getting stuck into the garden just gives some good energy and helps balance things out again. So I plotted out the compass points using string attached to a stick in the middle. Decided it was too small and made it huge. I realised it was huge when I came to dig out the paths! The neighbours are very curious and asked if I was planting potatoes! I plan to plant it up mainly with herbs but also with salad/vegetable plants and perennials. Already there are good vibes coming from it and I gladly send them on to J.

No comments:

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.