Friday 22 June 2007

Little time for PC










Well I have tried to use what was learnt on my PC course but to be honest I lack the discipline of sitting down and doing the planning. The ideas stay in my head until I actually do it and I learn from the process of doing it. The above picture looks like a real mish mash of vegetation and I guess that is exactly what it is. I´ve used Phacelia and red clover to improve the soil and keep it covered and I have a soft spot for bees. I have planted marigolds to attract those good little bugs. I have tried to create a stacking situation by using corn with beans growing up them although the beans have gone above and beyond their call of duty and for ground level there are some pumpkins. Can you spot them?

In case you can´t here is a close up.
I have mixed up lots of other plants probably to their detriment - I have read that tomatoes don´t do well next to brassicas but so far they seem ok. I have tried to pack them in but the weeds still get in there! Did I say weeds - I mean very annoying couch grass!



I have hens now. I bought 4, one was sick from day one and doesn´t lay but I have been innundated with eggs from the other three who are intent on causing total havock with seedlings and plants depsite being given a very nice fenced off part of the garden - grass is always greener on the other side for hens too so it seems! I also have two bantems acquired from Paul and Emily who have taken a bit of bullying off the big brown mamas but this seems to have calmed down.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Chickens scratch up everything so I'd think you'd have to keep them separated from your herbs and vegetables if you want them to survive. What will you do with the hen that doesn't lay? I can't see her heading for the pot. Everything looks bursting with life, you're doing a great job.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.