Sunday 2 September 2007

1 september 2007

Gingo Biloba or the Maidenhair Tree is listed as one of the
Top 20 Plants by Plants for a Future http://www.pfaf.org/ who claim that it is one of the most exciting plants they are growing. I don't know if we have a female or male plant but the branches are horizontal like which apparently is an indication that it is female. Uses include food crop which are the seeds that are said to taste like a cross between chestnuts and potatoes. Other medicinal uses are sited particularly in chinese medicine. A good thing for me is that the leaves are supposed to be good for memory loss! Anyway we were determined to give this youngster a good start in life as the first addition to our forest garden. All being well it will grow up to 30 metres with a spread of 9 but it can take up to 35 years for them to be productive. Let's get planting these trees now for future generations.






The soil is quite compacted having not been cultivated for many years. It is well drained and appears to be loamy/sandy just what they like. There were quite a few stones unearthed in the digging process and it was a hot day!




We mixed some good top soil from 'the mountain' with a bit of donated chicken compost. Fitted a watering pipe and stake. We gave it a good watering and piled on the mulch which in this case is bracken as there is lots of it around here.
We placed a fence of three more posts and chicken wire around it to deter deer and boar. It was a lot of work for one tree so let's hope it grows even if it is just around 30cm a year!

I have my bees - I've had them for about three weeks now. I got a phone call one Saturday morning from 'Antonio de las abejas' only I heard 'Antonio de las ovejas' bees and sheep sound very similar the way some people say it. I soon cottoned on that we were talking bees and literally half an hour later Antonio and his wife turned up with two big colonies of bees. He helped me set up the hives in a suitable place and in the blistering heat I donned my bee suit and we transferred the angry bees into their new homes. I was very glad to be in charge of the smoker as they were not happy to have been shut in for so long. All is quiet around the hives now as they have settled in and gone about their business of making stores for winter. I have bought some strips to treat them for varoa which I will be inserting soon and some feeders to give them a bit extra before winter. Photographs to follow soon.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Have you given all the bees individual names yet? There was a big fuss a few months ago about a bee die off in the USA which I think was eventually pinned down to a virus, have you had any of that trouble in Spain? With all those wild flowers around they certainly won't be short of some nectar. I look forward to seeing 'Lowes Organic Honey' on every supermarket shelf in the world. Megan's so cute by the way, a trainee Kerry in every way.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.