Friday 14 September 2007

An Inconvenient Truth


I was given a copy of the Al Gore documentary on climate change - I know it's been around a while but I've only just got to watch it now. It's something you want everyone to watch. An image I couldn't get out of my mind after the film is that of the polar bears they have found drowned because they are having to swim further and further to find ice to land on. If you haven't yet seen it (or was I the only one?) then make an effort to get hold of a copy.

I have introduced the 'Piss Bucket' in the bathroom which means we don't need to pull the chain on the toilet anymore which requires the electricity to power the water pump to refill the toilet. Instead we use the bucket and empty the contents on the compost heap - anything else we still use the toilet for until we build our own dry composting toilet. I'm looking forward to reading my next copy of Permaculture Works as there is an article on what to do with our urine.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I thought you were supposed to put urine on your compost heap so that all the nitrogen could active the bacteria there and break the vegetation down. Easier for a boy to wee on a compost heap than a girl though. As for the inconvenient truth, those pictures of polar bears drowning weren't anything of the kind but I suppose it made for a good picture. There's always a new end of the world story in the papers, it sells copy, gains research grants and gives politicians new reasons to tax us and boss us around. I'm still waiting to die of bird flu or get cancer from mobile phones, never mind worrying what the weather's going to be like in a hundred years time.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.