Monday 10 September 2007

Monday 10 September



I've just been up to the bees to treat them for varoa - a little mite that has wiped out most of the bees in Europe. The idea is that if they are treated now in the Autumn they stand a better chance of getting through the winter. The varoa strips were different here. Whereas in the UK they are flexible and can be bent over the frame to hold them here they were completely rigid so just the comb was supporting them. The idea is that the bees will become treated as they walk over the strips and the mites will drop off. Maybe the strips are slightly different here as well because I had read that the mite had become resistant to some treatments. I have to remove the strips after so many weeks which is what a lot of people have not done hence they have built up a resistance.



The experiment with no wheat and no tea has been failing. I enjoy making bread and enjoy eating it even more but at least I'm making my own - now don't be rude, yest that is a loaf of bread in the picture. I managed to cut out the tea but find by mid-morning I'm looking for an excuse to have a large milky coffee! What I have stuck to has been going raw up to midday thanks mainly to the variety of fruit and juices and milkshakes.



In the garden the pumkins are coming in. I chose a variety from HDRA for their flavour rather than size but I've yet to taste them. I've got potatoes coming out of my ears from all my neighbours and my neighbours who come to stay here in the village where they grew up have been visiting for the fiestas and have given me a basket of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes. Have to find time to do something with it all!



Talking of fiestas there was a big one this weekend at a place called Cadeiras. Now Cadeiras is a beauty spot on a hill with picnic tables a church and a bar. It is usually deserted but this weekend it was packed. I went along with some English friends but we decided we need a lot more practise with the whole food thing. We did a typical picnic thing but we were very out done by the Spanish who had taken large tables, chairs, tents, lamb, pies, salads, lots and lots of wine, cakes etc. By the time they had decided where to put their tables we had already finished eating. Next year 'must do better'. Having said that we were the only ones walking up the hill to the event. There was not one other pedestrian or cyclist and we had three kids between us - mad English! This fiesta lasted three days with lots of food and various bands. It was lovely to see huge tables surrounded by families and friends from all over the Sober region. There are yet more fiestas to come. What great traditions and a great way of promoting the culture of the region through food, music and coming together.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Mites, not a virus, that's right. I hope your bees are fine, I'm sure you'd tuck them up with individual little blankets made of spider silk and sunbeams if you could. Your loaf of bread looks scrumptious, there's nothing like the smell of homemade bread. I don't understand what's wrong with bread anyway? Man's been making it for as long as we've had agriculture, probably before, it's the most natural thing in the world to eat. The fiesta looks a lot of fun, the Spanish certainly know how to have a good time in the sunshine.

The Journey Begins

In actual fact the journey began some time ago. The Design course has reinforced decisions that had already been made and given me the tools to put together some sort of plan to make that first step a little less daunting. I returned from the two week course today and although extremely tired I have been so motivated not just by the course, but by the people I had the good fortune to meet, that I have created this blog. I owe a great deal of thanks to those people, for their inspiration, support and a great deal of laughter. I'm not sure what the outcomes will be, but I am sure it will be an interesting journey and welcome you to join me.